Amsterdam Mercatorschool

The Mercator School was built in 1924 by the Public Works Department in the style of the Amsterdam School. The school and the Jeruzalem church, directly opposite each other, formed the central axis of the Jan Maijen district.

The facade consists of sand-coloured and purple bricks. Its distinctive length is enhanced by the horizontal white strips in which the windows are embedded.These continuous strips are characteristic for the late Amsterdam School style. The undulating elements, the variations in use of materials and the intricate brickwork are also distinctive of this style. A striking feature is the curved bay window in the centre of the facade. The building was originally a public elementary school: one half of the building was for the boys, the other for the girls.

A school for Adult Elementary Education is now housed on the ground floor and the upper floors have been converted into one and two person apartments.


> project information (pdf)

Refurbishment of a school building
Client Woonstichting De Doelen
Plan Preparation 1993
Execution 1994 - 1995
Project Architect Marloes van Haaren